“Hotel Services” is a vocational continuing education program that leads to the award of the 4th EQF level Professional Qualification of Hotel Services in Latvia. The program provides a comprehensive knowledge of hotel activities and services to guests in accordance with vocational standards.
Hotel Services Specialist (EQF 4)
VET Qualification Program “Hotel Services Specialist”
“Hotel Services” is a vocational further education program that awards graduated students with EQF Level 4 “Hotel Service Specialist” qualification (EQF – European Qualifications Framework). EQF 4 is equal to the following national qualifications across Europe – A-level, RQF level 3, Scottish Higher; Abitur (Germany), Matura, Baccalauréat (France), vocational school diploma and others.
The program provides comprehensive knowledge of hotel activities and services to guests in accordance with professional standards. This will enable you to work in local or foreign hotels and resorts, being responsible for delivering guest services. You will also be qualified to run a department.
In order to earn “Hotel Services Specialist” qualification, students have to cover the certain amount of subjects in the span of 1,5 years and cover the requited amount of 960 guided learning hours.
In the first term, hotel classification and standards are discussed, as well as the hotel’s key departments – guest reception and catering. At the end of the semester, the first internship is planned – a month, which takes place in the largest hotels of Latvia (usually Riga center).
In the second term emphasis is put on preparing for internships in foreign resorts. Both the resort’s special services and foreign languages are learned. At the end of the semester, a paid internship in foreign hotels is offered for 3-4 months (there is a possibility to continue the internship in Latvia).
The last, the third term is devoted to mastering the functions of the hotel support departments – marketing, procurement organization, finance. At the end of the program, a professional qualification examination is required.
Program learning plan:
- Contemporary hospitality industry
- Housekeeping department
- Front office operations
- Food and beverage operations
- Contemporary gastronomy
- Professional communication
- Consumer behaviour in hospitality
- Record keeping
- Finances in hospitality
- Labour law
- Public Safety & Human/Consumer Services
- Professional English/Latvian for foreign students
- Professional Spanish/German language
- Training practices
- Property management software
- Conference and banqueting services
- Work at the bar
- SPA services at the hotel
- Procurement in the hospitality company
- Final state examination
General Entry RequirementsThe minimum requirements for admission to HOTEL SCHOOL higher educational program:
- Successfully completed senior-secondary education / or the general certificate of education (GCE) Advanced Level or A Level.
- For courses delivered in English – English language skills at a level equivalent to Upper Intermediate or higher (CEFR – B2 / PTE – 51 / IELTS 5.5) – if applicable.
- Positive and service-oriented personality, passion for working in hospitality.
- When considering acceptance on a BTEC Higher Nationals, HOTEL SCHOOL may recognize applicants’ prior learning or work related experience.