Culinary arts study specific cooking methods and techniques in order to present healthy, tasty, unique and aesthetic dishes worthy of restaurant quality. The culinary arts discipline combines knowledge of business and management with skills in cooking, art and presentation. Students in culinary arts programs will get the chance to experience working in a kitchen environment and may take part in internships with local restaurants.
Culinary Arts (BTEC 5)
BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Culinary Arts Management
New program since September 2018!
“BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Culinary Arts Management” is a higher professional education program that gives you the opportunity to receive British Level 5 professional qualification in hospitality industry enterprises management (specialization “Culinary Arts and Kitchen Management”). The program was developed in the UK in 2017, allowing you to get the modern education needed by a future chef or a food technologist who wants to develop high-quality food preparation skills and professionalism in kitchen organization and management.
The program enables students to receive a top-notch culinary education required to become a professional chef or a cook – food technologist who seek to develop excellent cooking and food preparation skills or who intend to work towards a career in running a catering business. The education and training provided by “BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Culinary Arts Management” empowers students to maximise their employability through the study of core themes in management, leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship.
In order to earn HOTEL SCHOOL diploma in Culinary Arts Management, students have to cover the certain amount of units and get the required amount of credit points. All units are divided into two years of studies:YEAR 1
- The Contemporary Hospitality Industry
- Managing Food and Beverage Operations
- Managing Food Production
- International Gastronomy
- Butchery and Fishmongery
- Managing the Customer Experience
- Leadership and Management for Service Industries
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
- The Hospitality Business Toolkit
- Professional Identity and Practice
- Creative Kitchen Management
- Food Innovation
- Hospitality Supply Chain Management
- Menu Development, Planning and Design
- Creative Patisserie and Artisan Bakery
- Diet and Nutrition
- Food Science
- Hospitality Consumer Behaviour and Insight
- Research Project
|Download full program specification (Pdf)|
Learning process and internships
Educational process lasts 2 years and includes lectures, practical training sessions, for example, property management system training or culinary master classes; as well as working experience in the hospitality industry enterprises.
By the end of the first semester of studies, students undergo a monthly internship at hotels in Riga or famous restaurants serving high-class cuisine, and at the end of the second semester, there will be paid internship abroad, which lasts from 3 to 5 months. During the summer internship, students receive a monthly scholarship (the employer pays for accommodation and meals). The internship placements are provided by HOTEL SCHOOL in cooperation with local and international top level hotels. Learn more about the internship and scholarship opportunities.
The British BTEC diploma is issued by Pearson Education, the largest exam organization in the UK and in the world, which develops academic ( Edexcel ) and professional ( BTEC ) training programs and tests the knowledge and skills acquired during training in more than 25,000 educational institutions in the UK and more than 100 countries around the world.
HOTEL SCHOOL Hotel Management College has been an accredited BTEC training center since 2012.
The Higher National Diploma is equivalent to the first two years of a standard university Bachelor’s degree. You will study for two years with HOTEL SCHOOL RIGA and then you can progress to a one-year university top-up program to earn a full Bachelor’s degree. Learn more about your progression – Progression+ service webpage.
General Entry RequirementsThe minimum requirements for admission to HOTEL SCHOOL higher educational program:
- Successfully completed senior-secondary education / or the general certificate of education (GCE) Advanced Level or A Level.
- For courses delivered in English – English language skills at a level equivalent to Upper Intermediate or higher (CEFR – B2 / PTE – 51 / IELTS 5.5) – if applicable.
- Positive and service-oriented personality, passion for working in hospitality and catering industry.
- When considering acceptance on a BTEC Higher Nationals, HOTEL SCHOOL may recognize applicants’ prior learning or work related experience.